viernes, 17 de abril de 2015
BEEF STEW WITH POTATOES AND VEGETABLES (ESTOFADO DE CARNE CON PATATAS Y VERDURAS)
This week we want to share with you a very rich stew that we have prepared and that we are very sure that you will like :-) Beef Stew with Potatoes and Vegetables, this one is prepared with tender Veal :-) And to make it really tasty and give it a special touch, we have again used a very nice local Sherry wine from El Gato Winery ;-)
Recipe published this week in the Coastline Newspaper
This casserole can be prepared either in the traditional way by adding potatoes to the stew about fifteen minutes before finished cooking or by frying them beforehand and adding them at the end of the cooking. In both ways, the stew will be delicious ! However you prefer !
As always, when you prepare a stew, it is much better if you eat your stew the day after cooking it.
We share now our recipe. We really hope you like it:
* 1 3/4 lbs. (800 Gr.) Veal for stewing
* 12 French (Cippolini) Onions
* 4 Mature Red Tomatoes
* 3 Medium Potatoes
* 2 Carrots
* 1 Head of Garlic
* 2 Bay Leaves
* 7 fluid ounces (2 dl) local White Wine (Gran Mayeto) from “El Gato Winery”
* 2 Cups of Beef Broth
* 4 Tbsp Olive Oil
* Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
WAY OF COOKING:
* We are going to start peeling the onions without cutting the base so that they will not break while cooking.
* Then, we separate the cloves of the garlic head, wash them and make a cut in each clove with a knife.
* We wash and peel the carrots and cut them into slices.
* We wash the tomatoes and make two cuts in the shape of a cross at the base.
* Now we pour four tablespoons of olive oil in a stewing pot and heat it.
* We will cut the Veal meat into cubes and season them. We add it to the pan together with the onions, garlic, tomatoes, carrots and washed bay leaves.
* We aromatize our stew with ground black pepper, cover the pan and let it cook over high heat for 5 minutes, slightly moving the pan from time to time.
* We take the lid off and continue cooking for 5 minutes more, while stirring.
* We pour in the wine, allow time for it to evaporate, then pour in the previously heated broth.
* Let’s cover the pan again, lower the heat and cook it for 1 hour, approximately until the meat is tender.
* We add a little water if we see that the stew is dry.
* We peel the potatoes, then wash and dry them. We cut them into cubes and fry them in plenty of oil until they get brown on the outside and are cooked inside.
* We remove them from the frying pan with a slotted spoon, leave them on paper towels to drain the excess of oil and season them.
* Then add them to the Casserole in the last moment and serve the stew. Let’s sit down at our dining table and enjoy it very much.
We wish all of you a Happy Week and start getting ready for the Feria, which is right around the corner.